Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Warm Black Bean Soup


I found the Whole Foods 28 day challenge to healthier eating the other day and decided to give it a whirl.  So I've been busy this morning cooking up my lunches for the rest of the week and prepping my veggies for some quick dinners.  Meal number 1 is a black bean soup, whole foods provided a recommended recipe, but since I'm not good at following directions I took my own spin on it.  And, oh my was I ever rewarded, I think I might have just found my new go to food for those chilly winter days yet to come this year..

15 min prep 1 hour cook

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups water
1 tbsp chicken bouillon
2 or 3 cloves garlic (I used the mini cloves I had lying around in my garlic bin so I'm not sure how much I used)
1 medium onion diced
1/2 red bell pepper diced
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp sherry
1 tsp lime juice

Saute the onions, garlic, and peppers in the olive oil until translucent and tender, around 5 minutes.  Add the beans, water, boullion, cumin, coriander, and chili powder and stir.  Heat to boiling and let simmer covered fro 45 minutes to meld flavors.  Add the sherry and lime juice and let it cool for a few minutes.
Puree the soup in a blender/food processor.   Return to the pot to reheat before serving.

Its fabulous as is for a great lunch or get fancy by adding a little sour cream and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment