Sunday, November 11, 2012

Chicken with Caper Sauce

So nice to be back home in my kitchen after a week in Seattle.  I felt like we heard about all these wonderful restaurants to try there, but since my two beautiful daughters were usually in a unsavory mood at dinner time we survived on take out and dinner in a hotel room.  Being the first day back we got to go to the grocery today and restock the pantry for the week- beans, diced tomatoes, chard, bell peppers, chicken.... and then tonight comes and I look at my pantry shelves, I use exactly none of them :). Hey I just wasn't in the mood.  I opted instead to go with a classic from one of my favorite cookbooks - Dining for Two - its a Weight Watchers cookbook from one of my many attempts to loose last 10 lbs.  Its actually and incredibly good cookbook with lots of easy, healthy items that taste gourmet.  Tonight's chicken with capers can be fixed in about 50 min assuming you've done no prep and have a 18 month old who wants to be held throughout it. If you don't have clinging children you could probably make it in 35 easy.

I chose to serve it with Rice a Roni's Long Grain and Wild Rice combo. I started the rice before starting the meal and it was finished just before the chicken ~ 35 minutes later.

Ingredients:

1 cup water
1.5 tsp chicken bouillon
.5 tsp sherry
4 cloves garlic
5 whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
2 5 ounce skinless boneless chicken breasts
salt
pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp capers, rinsed and drained
1 tsp butter softened
1 tsp flour

Directions:
Bring the broth, wine, garlic, peppercorns, and bay leaf to boil in a small saucepan.    Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced and garlic tender ~ 8 minutes.  Discard the peppercorns and bay leaf. Puree the garlic mixture (I like to use my little Magic Bullet).  
Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts.  Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned ~ 5 min on each side. Add the garlic mixture and capers and cook partially covered for ~ 3 minutes, flipping chicken once.
In a small bowl mix the flour and butter until they form a paste. Stir the paste into the caper sauce until blended and smooth.  Simmer the sauce for ~ 1 minute to thicken.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment