Monday, October 1, 2012

Summer Squash, Bacon, Mozzarella Quiche



Quiche is something I think I spent my childhood disliking, and now I spend my adult years feeding my children.  Luckily for me they love anything with eggs, bacon, and cheese in it - so tonight I whisked together this recipe to utilize the summer squash I had in the fridge.  I altered the recipe here and there since I didn't have all the ingredients.  So the original recipe called for zucchini which is something neither my husband nor I can tolerate so I would have eliminated it anyway.  We try zucchini once a year to confirm its still not for us, and since we tried it this summer already we didn't need a repeat.  So here is my yellow squash only adaptation.

Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 60 minutes Serves: 8 

Ingredients:
1 refrigerated pie crust - I'm too lazy to make my own!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1.5 cups yellow squash, sliced thin
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup whole milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 large eggs
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place pie dough in a pie pan and press into pan gently. To prepare the filling, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Add squash, onion and garlic; saute for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool slightly. Whisk together milk, salt, pepper, thyme, bacon and eggs in a medium bowl.
Arrange squash mixture evenly over crust and sprinkle with cheese. Pour the egg mixture over cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until filling is set. Cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.

Before Baking
After Baking
Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment