Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sausage Broccoli Tomato Rotini


My husband gave me the Flavor Bible this past year for Christmas. And, sadly it hasn't been something I've consulted too often.  Instead I tend to just peruse recipe blogs for culinary inspirations.  But, when I was contemplating my veggie bin on Sunday afternoon I found myself debating what to pair with broccoli. My initial thought was to grill some chicken with it, it would be healthy, maybe add some bbq sauce, but somehow that still just didn't sound right.  It sounded almost depressing, like I was on a diet or something: chicken with steamed broccoli.  So I opened up the Flavor Bible and looked up broccoli to see what flavors paired best with it.  Eureka!  Low and behold - chicken wasn't listed - no wonder it hadn't sounded good. Instead sausage was listed. Chicken or Sausage?  Yes, italian sausage with lots of flavor would be great.  Some tomatoes, fresh basil and garlic.  This was sounding even better.



On Tuesday night I needed a quick meal, and this combo worked great.  Chop, dice mince,...pause to welcome husband home, ...15 minutes...,"Honey, its time for dinner." The pasta is so fully of yummy veggies I decided to forgo a salad. I topped the pasta with some fresh Parmesan cheese and paired it with a slice of fresh baked whole wheat artisan bread. Oh so delicious.  I'm so glad I chose to reference the Bible and opted for the italian sausage.  I'm just wondering if next time I might just have to make it with chicken italian sausage?

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
2 small heads broccoli, cut into pieces
4 roma tomatoes, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 basil leaves, chopped
.5 lb ground italian sausage
salt to taste
8 oz rotini cooked accordingto package.


Steam the broccoli (microwave/stovetop). Meanwhile brown the sausage in medium skillet over medium heat.  Add the tomatoes and garlic to the sausage.  Cook an additional 3 minutes, pressing on the tomatoes to help them release their juices. Add basil and salt, cook an additional minute.  













Add the broccoli to skillet to mix flavors. Add broccoli, sausage, tomato mix to pasta and toss. 
Bon Appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment