Monday, August 27, 2012

Mediterranean Lemon Cumin Chicken Pita

Happy to be back in my kitchen after a fun and busy weekend.  Tonight was an experiment with Mediterranean flavors which isn't something I do much.  But, after rave reviews from my husband I'm thinking maybe I should.  Tonight's inspiration started with me finding an great little kebab recipe and then deciding, that oregano and dill just didn't sound yummy and since it was raining outside grilling kebabs was out.  So off I went to the cupbard to see what I could discover.  In the end I opted for a lemon + cumin + garlic + chicken combo and it was worth it. The lightness of the salad was refreshing with the warm flavors in the chicken.  Almost like the rain we were having on that warm summer day.  The salad really made for a great topping to the chicken in the pita and refreshing side.  I'm thinking I might remake this weekend and use it as  lunch entree when my parents visit. 


Ingredients:
1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
4 Pitas

Marinade:
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons lemon juice
5 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Salad:
1 1/4 cups cucumber
1 cup diced tomato
1/4 cup diced bell pepper
1/4 cup black olives
1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
1 1/2  teaspoons fresh lemon juice
teaspoons olive oil
teaspoon parsley
salt and black pepper to taste

Toppings:
2 cups lettuce
1/2 cup feta cheese

Directions:
Marinate the chicken at least 2-3 hours or overnight. 
Combine the first 12 salad ingredients (cucumbers through salt and black pepper, not the lettuce) and set aside in the refrigerator to let the flavors set.
Cook chicken over medium heat for ~ 10 minutes.
Serve with Pita, lettuce, cheeese, chicken, and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment